Sunday, December 12, 2010

Holiday Season

I've thought about blogging for a while now... it's been a busy couple of months. I finally found a job and it's one I (mostly) enjoy but it takes a lot of time out of the week. Things, in general, are better then they have been in the past. Around Thanksgiving I remembered two years ago when I was not in a good place and what a rough time I had - I am nowhere near that place and for that I'm grateful. After a couple of challenging years I can say this fall/holiday season has been, and continues to be, better. I feel like I can actually enjoy the holidays, my girls and the life we have. In that dark place, everything is a struggle and finding happiness is a challenge. I tried to put on a happy face but, truth be told, I'm not a very good actress. (not as good as I thought I was, anyway)

Things are different because I'm working. After an exhaustive job search, I finally got hired to work retail. It wasn't my first choice but honestly, it's what I'm good at. (ignore bad grammar) And as far as retail goes... I have the best schedule. Yes, really. I work 6a-2p, 4 days a week and I don't work weekends. I don't have to pay for after-school care for the girls and I get weekends off - it's a Win-Win. I didn't realize how much I missed working; getting paid and having regular adult interaction is nice. I don't make a bunch of money but every little bit helps. I know I could make more but when I interviewed for management jobs I think I was penalized because I took 5+ years off. It's okay... I probably would have been miserable at that job anyway. The District Manager was kind of a bitch and I suspect she only interviewed me because I know one of her GMs. (and not remembering the specifics of management practices at Old Navy didn't help either. that was like 8 years ago! cut me some slack) It's okay... looking back I think I would have been unhappy; no amount of money would have changed that fact.

I also appreciate our family time on the weekend much more. Before I was working the weekends were a time when I could "escape" and my husband would spend time with the girls. Now I'm happy to be here all together. It should be the time when I catch up on all the chores I neglect during the week but that hasn't happen, as of late. We have a huge pile of laundry in the closet and I have no desire to do laundry, non-stop, all weekend.

This time before Christmas feels like it's slipping away with no signs of slowing down. I still feel like I so much to do and I am working every day M-F. The paycheck will be nice but I'd love to have more time off! Because I'm so busy I'll go ahead and wish everyone a Merry Christmas now!

No comments: