Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My dad and his heart

My dad called me Tuesday night at 10:00 to tell me about some heart "issues" he's been having. I haven't talked to him in a couple of months, haven't seen him in over a year. He told me he failed a stress test 2 weeks ago and yesterday he had an "episode." It sounded to me like he had a small heart attack so he called the cardiologist and he is going to the hospital on Wednesday to have the scope procedure done (I'm drawing a blank on what the procedure is called) and he was told that a bypass is a possibility. I know he's really freaked out about having any kind of heart procedure because (1) with any procedure like that there is always a possibility that it will not go as planned and (2) his mother died in the 70's while having a stent put in her heart. He's already had 2 procedures to put stents in but obviously a bypass is much more involved.

I realized this morning that I had not really thought about him after I got off the phone. I was upset when I was relaying the conversation to my husband but I didn't dwell on it much after that. I learned a long time ago, as a coping strategy, to not think about him too much. And now I've been doing it for so long it's second nature.

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about him and my reaction. A friend posted on Facebook, this week, a quote that almost fits this situation, "Don't make someone a priority in your life if you are only an option in theirs." That is how I have felt on many, many occasions; never a priority, always an option. Like I'm part of bragging rights to friends.... "this is my oldest daughter. she's a triathlete. and these are her beautiful children. see what a great father I am."

**Update: He called me Wednesday night and apparently the doctor felt his procedure could wait until Monday. That is probably a good thing because he and my stepmonster are moving this weekend. He is using a Nitro patch for now unless something else happens. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

1 comment:

The Cranky Princess said...

"Don't make someone a priority in your life if you are only an option in theirs." Words to live by. Thanks for that clarity this morning.

Sadly, while we would all like to have those picture perfect relationships with our families, it just ain't so. Be as invested as you can be without putting your emotional well being at risk. Your priority right now are those beautiful children and ensuring that they get as close to a picture perfect relationship with their folks as possible :0).