Thursday, October 30, 2008

Baseball is FINALLY over.

I don't like baseball. I just don't "get" it and don't follow it. Maybe it's a girl thing ... maybe not. There are plenty of women who are die-hard baseball fans. I don't understand watching baseball, it's like watching grass grow. I'm glad the Phillies won though, I'm almost always a fan of the underdog.

Watching cycling is probably a lot like watching baseball; it's only interesting if you know (and care) what's going on. I can understand why someone would not want to watch cycling, it's a bunch of guys in spandex riding bikes. How exciting can that be? Really, I get it. It's a lot about the drama surrounding the teams and a particular race or event. It's big news that Armstrong is returning to cycling and has joined the Astana team. What will happen to Contador, the team's current leader? What about Leipenheimer? Will he continue to be a strong time trialist now that he has to go up against Lance? Will Astana be invited to the Big Dance next summer after being excluded this year? Will Lance ride in the Tour de Georgia? (personally, I hope the answer is yes to the TdG) Cycling can be exciting and engaging but it takes a lot more studying to understand most aspects of the sport. Most people don't grow up cycling or watching pros like they do with other sports. I enjoy it but I enjoy the everyday aspect of the sport more and especially sharing my enthusiasm with beginners.

No comments: