Monday, June 1, 2009

A run

Yes, I posted this on Facebook too. I've had several people ask me for running advice - I know... crazy!?! Anyway, I had it here and thought I'd share with the people who don't know about my blog. (since I haven't been very quiet about my love/hate relationship with running. well, mostly hate ;) )

I think I've made my peace with running. I went trail running yesterday and I actually enjoyed it. Crazy, right? I still don't love it but I think I can start to appreciate it more than I have in the last year. I decided on Saturday that I wanted to run and I wanted to run the trail at Yargo. I decided I was going to "run happy" and the weather was too nice not to get out.

My husband went on his normal Sunday morning ride and he was back in plenty of time for me to go. By this time, I'd started to talk myself out of it. Yep... even though I had decided in the back of my mind that I HAD to go, I wanted to change my mind. It's funny how the mind works sometimes. We planned to go to the pool in the afternoon and I had an ongoing debate in my head about having time, we're supposed to meet friends, I had a bunch of coffee, I needed to eat, blah, blah, blah. Then the weather beckoned me out again. Fine, alright, you win... I'll go.

It was getting warm early yesterday. I can't put in to words how happy this kind of weather makes me. Anyway, I got dressed in an outfit I rarely wear outside of my house: just a sports bra (in sassy pink!), running shorts, my hat and running shoes. It was hot and I was going running. I got to the park and walked across the bridge in my running attire around the guys fishing and felt like a runner. I didn't care (very much) that I was baring my middle, something I don't do often. In my mind, it was important to look like a runner even if I feel I'm pretending. I usually don't see many people on the trail so I didn't care what I looked like. I'm gonna be a runner, dammit.

The trail starts totally exposed and it was hot, hotter than it's been all year but gorgeous. It's maybe 1/3 or 1/2 mile until the trail enters the shade of the trees. As soon as I entered the woods I felt at home. I know it's cheesy but as I entered the shade I felt comfortable there. I remembered how much I love being there and running. The woods in the south, especially Georgia, are familiar and inviting. In the warmer months, there isn't a lot of sun that breaks through the leaves and it's at least 10 degrees cooler. As I was running the only noises were my footfalls, my breathing and the occasional rustle of leaves from squirrels. I was running happy and I knew it. I felt a tranquility that I haven't felt lately, or maybe it was just the endorphins. Either way, I was enjoying it and that was all that mattered. I may have even had a goofy grin, I can't be sure.

So many times I have cursed the "running gods" and thrown insults their way. On my bike I am comfortable but running has always been challenging and sometimes painful. My legs moved like I told them but they were definitely unsure, confused. Thankfully, my knees and ankles were cushioned by the soft trail. This run wasn't effortless but it wasn't difficult, either.

I had decided to leave my ipod at home. I like to run to music to distract me from how much treadmill running sucks but in the woods I don't need it. I've made the mistake of taking it trail running with me before but I didn't enjoy that run, it felt like a chore. I did wear my watch and HR monitor but didn't look at it, I didn't care about pace. I enjoyed the scenery, the quiet and I actually felt thankful that I can run.

I got back to the van and felt satisfied with my run. Running the trail reminded me that I am strong. I can do it. I can enjoy running again.

1 comment:

Brett said...

Running is an interesting sport. You definitely have to WANT to go and run and not to HAVE to go and run. I find that my best runs are when I want to and not when I have to.