I hate going to parties where I don't know anyone. It is not, and never has been, in my nature to be that type of social butterfly that flits around at parties and can talk to anyone. I think I used to be better but there's definitely no flitting from this Cycling Chick.
My husband and I were invited to a party last Friday night for a guy on our MS 150 team. His wife organized a birthday/fundraiser party at their house. There were probably 20-30 people there and the only person we knew was David. It was probably one of the most uncomfortable situations I've been in in a long time.
It definitely pushed me out of my comfort zone and I failed, miserably. I wanted to bolt as soon as we got there. Heck, I wanted to bolt before we got there. I agreed to go because my husband is the captain of our MS team and he asked me to go. As soon as we got there I took the girls to the basement so they could watch a movie while we were upstairs. It took a lot of motivation to NOT stay down there with the kids, have chicken nuggets and chat with the babysitters.
My husband and I grabbed some snacks, a drink and found some chairs. If I had not been there he probably would have made the rounds but he stayed because he knew I didn't want to. He's not crazy about those types of situations either but has traveled for business enough to be able to handle it. I, on the other hand, do not handle it well. Maybe it's because I've been a stay at home mom for so long that I don't know how to handle typical "adult situations." Or maybe I just don't have the personality for that type of situation. Probably some of both.
I'm just glad it's over and I won't have to go to a party like that again any time soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment