Those that I know read this already know I qualified for USAT Age Group National Championships this year in Tuscaloosa. You also know I toyed with the thought of going. My husband said if I wanted to go then we would work it out so I could go. (registration was $130 + hotel and food)
I decided to skip it this year. My heart said yes, my mind said no. I wanted to go but it just wasn't happening this year. I realized I had qualified way back in May but didn't figure that out until mid-July and I just wasn't ready. I decided early in the year I was going to focus on sprints this season.
I tried to increase my training but it felt like I was cramming and it felt like a chore. That is one lesson I've learned, training should not feel like a chore. When it's not fun, it's not worth it. Granted, every session isn't going to be fun but the overall training has to be enjoyable. There are other things I have to do that I don't like (like cleaning!) that training shouldn't be one of them. I'm stubborn enough that if I don't enjoy it, I won't do it. At all. Nada.
I think I want to go next year. I want to qualify again early in the season so I have time to train. Who knows? Maybe I'll do a HIM race next season. Then I know the volume will be there.
I guess I need to decide if I want to focus on triathlon again next year. Recently, I have realized that if I want to do bike races, I can't split my time. I have to choose a focus; whether it be all three or just the bike. I like the variety of training for all three but I love riding my bikes. And I have the added benefit of being decent. I wonder how much faster I could be if I really focused my bike training?
No comments:
Post a Comment