Thursday, September 10, 2009

Auburn

This weekend when we head down to Callaway Gardens for the MS 150 we will be oh-so-close to the "loveliest village on the plains" and it is killing me that we can't get over there. Of course, I am talking about the best college town: Auburn, Alabama.


We haven't been down there in over a year and I wish we could get over there this weekend. They even have a home game this weekend. This is the sun setting behind Jordan-Hare Stadium.
I remember walking on the campus as a freshman and it felt like home. I LOVED my four years at Auburn University. They might be the best four years of my life. It was my first taste of real freedom and I have never looked back. That town will always feel like home, almost more so than my "real" hometown. All I have are good memories.

I want to add more pictures but these ones are good. This is Samford Hall at the front of campus, the iconic building of Auburn. During graduation, there is a steady stream of people waiting to take pictures at that sign with the building in the background.

I can remember how it used to look at this part of campus; Hurricane Opal came through my Sophmore year and took down a bunch of trees in this area. Heh, that's a fun memory. The storm started blowing through on Wednesday and I had Art History class on the other side of campus that I had to walk to and it was pouring. After that class I had to walk to spanish and I got soaked, drenched. I think I had one more class that day and then I was done. I remember classes being cancelled after 12. I went with my boyfriend (my husband) to his fraternity house to hang out while the storm came through. And, naturally, there was some partying involved. There wasn't any real danger, just lots and lots of rain and wind. We were all at the house when the eye went over Montgomery (about 50 miles away) and I remember it being calm for a short period. Dan and his fraternity brothers even thought it was a good idea to go down to the intermural field and play football, in the dark and pouring rain. They came back wet, dirty and covered in ant bites because the rain had flooded the field. Ha, that'll teach 'em. After the storm passed, we had gorgeous weather on Thursday and Friday but plenty of damage; power poles and lines blown down, trees uprooted. Half of campus was without power for 3 or 4 days. We had power at the fraternity house so as you can imagine, my liver took quite a hit during those 5 days.

Whew, that was quite a walk down memory lane. If you're still reading then thank you. I could go on and on about stuff that happen at Auburn. My husband and I had a lot of fun while we were there and we managed to go to class on occasion as well. ;) We even had a Finance class together one summer. It was at 7:30, can you guess who actually went to that one? And even though that someone went to class and took notes.... guess who got a C and who got an A. Bastard. We still joke about that one. I bombed the first test because I didn't have the right calculator. (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

Sorry, there I went down that lane again. Auburn is a great town if you ever have a chance to get down that way, even if you're a Georgia fan.

No comments: