Friday, September 4, 2009

The shop

If you noticed, I changed my profile and now it includes "part time wrench." That's right, boys and girls, I am back at the bike shop. And I could not be happier about it. It just makes me giddy. :)

I can't pinpoint the reason but I know it's not just about the bikes. It's everything involved with bikes and the shop. I didn't even mind spending my time sweeping the floors and cleaning the fixtures when I was there the other day; I actually enjoyed it. I think I could be happy working at any bike shop but this bike shop feels like my bike shop.

Don't get me wrong, it's a lot about the bikes but that's not entirely it. It's the "culture" of a bike shop and the customers that walk through the door. We're selling bikes and the people that seek out our shop want to shop there and they often share our passion for riding. Even the new folks looking for their first bike are looking to start riding because it has the aura of fun, not just an excellent way to exercise.

I know that getting laid off last year was a contributing factor to the darkness that I found myself in last fall. We are busier this year than we were at the same time last year so I can only hope it continues. At least if it happens again, hopefully I will be better prepared this time.

No comments: