Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My dad and his heart, Part 2

The Stepmonster called me last night and told me that my dad came through okay. He did have to have the angioplasty procedure on the big, main artery. Apparently, the second stent that was in that artery caused some scar tissue to build up and the artery was 99% blocked. This is the artery called the "Widowmaker." I don't know the real name but it seems to be an important one.

He stayed in the hospital overnight to make sure he didn't have any issues or episodes. My sister and I hope and pray that this will be the wake-up call he needs. I would have thought one of the other 4 stents that were put in (at 2 different times) would have done it but maybe this will be the time.

We both know it has to be his choice; major lifestyles changes are never easy. I often wonder if he wants to see his grandchildren grow up. Is eating junk and not taking care of his body that much more important?? I want to ask him but I wonder if the timing is appropriate. Chances are he probably feels bad enough without me piling on. My problem is that my normal filter seems to turn itself off when I talk to him.

No comments: