Thursday, November 5, 2009

B-ball

My older daughter decided this year that she wants to play basketball over the winter. I'm not exactly sure what inspired this desire, I can only guess it's because of me. I think she has it in her head that she wants to try both sports that my husband and I used to play: he with soccer and me with basketball. My husband was less than pleased about this idea, he hates basketball. He used to come watch me play because he was a good boyfriend but he didn't like it.

I feel the need to preface any basketball talk with the fact that I wasn't any good. Seriously. I was on the Varsity team my Junior year in high school but I lucked in to that. I tried out for the JV team when I was in 9th and 10th grade and got rejected both times. By my 11th grade year, I knew I'd just be setting myself up for heartache if I tried out again so I didn't. Then a friend of mine mentioned that they needed a 12th person for the squad and asked if I'd be interested. I can't say I immediately jumped at the chance but I was definitely interested. I had to talk to my employer at the time (Macaroni Grill) and then let the coach know. I joined the squad and we went 22-4 that year, only losing to Pope and Lassiter twice each. (I think Pope won the championship that year)

I could see the game in my head but execution was a different story. I had a decent jump shot but got nervous in a game situation or if there was any pressure. I hope my daughter is a better player than me. If she's not, that's okay too. Sports that require a lot of coordination just weren't for me. I often wonder if I'd started earlier if things would have been different. I'm just glad I found sports that I'm decent at without using a ball. ;)

My husband and I decided it was important for the girls to get an early start so they'd have time to figure out what they're good at - whether it be soccer, basketball, music, dance or something else. My parents let me try many different activities when I was young but sports wasn't one of them. (neither of them is athletic) I look forward to seeing how she plays. I toyed with the idea of signing up to be an assistant coach but since this is her first year I'll let her play first and if she wants to play again then maybe I will next year.

She starts practice the week after soccer ends in about 2 weeks. I need to find her some proper shoes. I've been trying to convince her that she'll have to get black shoes, so far I've been unsuccessful. I think I'll take her today to see what we can find. I hope we can find some that aren't $50....

No comments: