Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My park

Well, it's not actually my park but sometimes I like to pretend it is. Fort Yargo State Park actually belongs to the state of Georgia; a mere technicality. I have said that there are few people that know the trails at Yargo better than me. That's not as much the case now but it was when I was mountain biking there 2 or 3 times a week and trail running when I wasn't riding. I went riding there this morning and decided to take my camera. On many occasions I'd be riding along wishing I had my camera with me so I could show some of the trails to my friends. I love riding there and I am very, very fortunate to have such an awesome resource nearby.

Here's some singletrack in the woods. And for the second picture, I fell over because I couldn't decide if I wanted to stop to take a picture so as I was wavering in deciding, I lost focus and fell over. At least I wasn't going fast. (or at all, really)



































This is the lake I get to look at since the trails skirt the lake throughout the park. The other is the trail beside the lake before it re-enters the woods, after a killer downhill section.






























Here's my pretty mountain bike in it's natural habitat. I am always happy to post pics of my awesome bike. Although, I see now it's kind of hard to see the bike with this background. Oh, well.

















And lastly, a picture of "Thrill Hill," although the picture doesn't do it justice. Going this direction on the trail, it's easy to navigate but the first time I saw it I was freaked out. The trail goes down a little hill and there's dirt straight in front of you, it's 4 or 5 feet straight up. If you pause at all, you're gonna fall. I've never fallen here *knocking on wood* but I feel gravity pulling me down every time I make it. The hill part is where the two tree shadows are casting on the ground. I was standing at the top of the hill that gives you enough momentum to make it.

I definitely did not have a stellar ride but the weather was bee-yoo-ti-ful and I couldn't resist the pull of the woods. I feel very fortunate to live this close to a great park and I'm thankful that I can ride.



No comments: