Yesterday was a busy day and I wasn't sure I was going to be able to squeeze in a ride. Thankfully, I got some stuff done and was able to go mountain biking. I wanted to MTB because it was a counter-clockwise day (which I haven't ridden in FOREVER) which is the same direction as the race next weekend. I am riding and feeling great, even pass some folks and I come to a new section I've never ridden. I've seen the sign but haven't gone that way before. (not even sure how long it's been open) It says "Monster Mile, advanced" and also points to a "beginner" way as well. I think, "how hard can it be? The rest of the trail is fairly tame. Advanced? Pshaw." Well, it was definitely more challenging then I expected. Tight, twisty single track with lots of ups and downs and a couple dips that caught me by surprise.
I did my first real endo - with the bike on top of my back - with an audience, it was AWESOME. It didn't hurt as badly as I expected. I braced my fall with my hands (to keep from faceplanting) and actually when I hit the ground, my thighs took the brunt of the fall and are a little sore today. My ego was bruised but not broken. After that incident, I was definitely more hesitant on the rest of that new section. I was so glad to get back on the regular trail. That seemed like the longest mile. The rest of the ride was uneventful except for a set of switchbacks that I still cannot do going that direction. Grrrrrrr. So frustrating. I can do the first one but the second one has a sharper turn, steeper, that is rutted out and loose with sticks and rocks. Dammit. Maybe if I rode that direction more often I would get it. Part of it definitely mental. After the Monster Mile, my confidence took a dive and I felt defeated by the time I got to the switchbacks.
No comments:
Post a Comment