Sunday, October 18, 2009

Off-season eating

I need to stop eating like I'm going in to hibernation. At the very least stop eating like I'm still training 5 or 6 days a week; 'cause I'm so not. I need to get back in control. We've been busy and I was pretending it wasn't an issue but I see some areas getting softer that weren't before. If I can't (or don't) workout then I need to keep control of my diet.

I've been playing a game with myself in my head: the muscle you have built up is burning more calories so of course you can have that extra cookie or that second glass of Merlot... All the while I knew in the back of my mind that I shouldn't.

It's not an issue for most of the year but it's a challenge to make that transition back to "normal" eating and not "season" eating. Seriously, when I'm in regular training mode I don't have to watch so carefully. I am conscious of what I eat (food is fuel kind of mentality) but I'm not super careful, either.

Starting next week, I have a plan of action in my head:

-I am going to make an effort to move away from processed (boxed) food again. We don't usually eat a lot but the ones we've added I know I can take out and replace with a good substitute. It's just going to take better planning; like the bag of rice that takes 45 minutes instead of the boxed kind that takes 15.

-We used to eat fish and/or seafood two or three times a week and we need to continue. There was a time when I had to be very careful of my grocery budget and I couldn't afford fish and shrimp in the same week but I need to budget better so we can get back to this kind of eating. I can look at frozen as an affordable alternative. (again, takes more planning)

-No more alcohol during the week. I usually don't have more than two glasses of wine or two beers but those empty calories are not necessary.

-No eating out or grabbing fast-food more than two times a week. Those two times will probably include one lunch and one dinner. We don't eat out often but I am guilty of grabbing something at the drive-thru for my daughter and I when we're out running errands.

-Work on an off-season training plan. I don't need an intensive training plan but I definitely need something. All my season fitness is slipping away and getting back to regular training will be more difficult if I don't.

That's what I have so far - nothing too complicated but it needs to be done. I am unhappy with how I feel right now so I think this will help. I need a challenge to keep things interesting and I think this will be enough of a challenge for now.

No comments: