Thursday, October 8, 2009

Wine experiment, part 1

An idea struck me as I was making dinner for my kids. My husband and I should try as many of the $5.99 bottles of wine at Publix that we can handle. This idea came to me as I was pouring a glass of Merlot while making my very extravagant dinner. What else would you have with grilled cheese and soup besides a $5.99 bottle of red wine? Doesn't everyone? ;)

This is actually our second bottle this week. I have standards when it comes to picking wine: it has to have an appealing label (painted on not necessary) and a certain price point. (sometimes it's $9.99 but more often it's cheaper) Everybody has to have standards, it just so happens to really have nothing to do with the wine itself.

Anyhew... this week's selections are two 2007 Merlots from California. The first one was Bohemian highway and the second was King Fish. I like them both. I could pretend to actually have a wine palate but I've already admitted I know very little about wine so I won't pretend to be able to taste the subtleties of a blackberry flavor or something else that I'm "supposed" to taste. It's good enough for me if it has a full flavor and it isn't dry. See? Not picky. Oh, but I don't like any wine that has a metallic bite to it - I think it's something about the tannins. If you're interested in all the "real" terms, you can read all about it on this site.

I will try to update this as we try more. I know I have been kinda slack about a regular kind of topic ("Cheap Stuff" comes to mind) but it wasn't entirely my fault. We stopped getting the paper on Sunday and we're not regular paper readers to actually pay for it. Stay tuned for more editions coming soon.

No comments: