As Holiday traditions go, I think the act of sending Christmas cards is a strange one. For many, sending out cards is a tradition they wouldn't dare skip. Of course, everyone you've ever known would want to see pictures of your little darlings in their fanciest (or ugliest, whichever the case may be) Christmas outfits. The strangest part is that you don't have contact with these people the rest of the year, not even an email. My mother still gets a card and one of those family letters (don't get me started on those!) from my dad's cousin - and my parents have been divorced since 1983. My dad doesn't even have contact with that cousin... yeah, I think it's a bit weird, too.
When I got married, this is a tradition that I picked up as well. Before we were married, it wasn't something we did. (being just out of college probably had something to do with it) And I find myself falling in to the trap of sending out pictures of my kids as well. I can't help it. I could send out normal cards and sign our names and be done with it - but nooooo, I have to get my kids dressed up in their Christmas outfits as well and attempt to take a cute picture of them in front of the tree or the fireplace. Why do I put myself through the aggravation? Why, why, why? It's not that they're uncooperative, it's more that they are very cooperative and want to play around and have me take 100 pictures of them. Some of the pictures did come out pretty cute. So, I guess everyone I know on facebook will be getting one of those cards. ;)
The thing that prompted this was the arrival of a card from my husband's 'big' boss and his family. It is a card with pictures of his twin girls on the front. I would assume that most of the people in the office got one but I don't know. His office probably has 100 employees, did they all get the card? Does it matter? No, I was just thinking about it. Maybe it's different because this boss (he has like 4, think Office Space) is a guy who graduated from the same HS as us, just a few years before. I am resisting the urge to send them one of my cards. I feel like I should but they weren't on my original list. Maybe I'll just give one to his wife when I go to their house for a playdate. (did you catch the irony? I know it's subtle)
No comments:
Post a Comment