Monday, December 15, 2008

My cat

My 13 year old cat is sick. She's been sick a long time so this isn't a new development. Over a year ago, the vet told us she has cancer and wouldn't live 4 months. That was terrible news. It was like one day she was fine and the next day she had a tumor on her belly and was going to die suddenly. We considered our options (surgery not being one of them, not possible) and decided to keep her as long as her quality life was not being sacrificed. Well, here it is, 15 months later and we still have her. The tumor is still growing but at a much slower rate. But, I feel her days are numbered. I think the tumor has started to affect the rest of her body (and possibly her brain, or it's just because she's old) and we may have to face the inevitable soon. I told my husband I couldn't do it. I can not take her down the green mile.

I was telling a friend about my cat the other day and she offered a theory. She said she thought God gave us pets for companionship but the fact that they don't live very long is to teach us how to grieve. We can grieve over the loss of our pets to learn how to handle it when it happens to someone we love. I have no idea if she's right but I like her theory anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear the news about your cat. I do think your friend's philosophy about God giving us pets is right. Losing my dog was terrible, but I have wonderful memories and over time the grief has somehow faded and become less painful. Now I can just look at pictures of Abby and know how much love she gave me and know the love will always be there.