Monday, December 8, 2008

Christmas fun

On Sunday, after my husband got home from being out of town, we went in search of our Christmas tree. We go to a local farm and cut it down. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the owner and she filled us in as to what section we could cut from, what they were offering and sent us on our way. It's such a fun environment. They offer free hot chocolate and cider, s'more kits and a fire pit to roast the marshmallows, fresh popcorn (a big deal to the girls), various local products (jams and such), they have goats and stale bread to feed them and of course the trees and wreaths. We got our tree from the same place last year but that time we didn't bring extra cash so we had to convince the girls to leave without doing any of the fun stuff - a small mistake that we didn't duplicate this year.

I enjoyed the whole experience and it is something fun to do together. I'm actually enjoying some of the cheesy Christmas family stuff. The girls and I put up some decorations the other day and we made a special ice cream treat, all while listening to Christmas music. On Saturday, I was over at my in-laws house and we went over to see their town's Christmas tree lighting. The girls saw Santa come in on the fire truck, the square was lit with lights and it was appropriately chilly for a tree lighting. I know I said I didn't want to put on a happy face for forced family fun but I should have been more specific - I wasn't in the mood for extended family fun. ;-) Christmas stuff with my husband and the girls is different.

No comments: