Taking my kids to the playground is often an exercise in patience and learning to let go. When my older daughter was little, I would only take her to the park if I thought for sure there wouldn't be a bunch of "big kids" there to knock her over or cause trouble. If the park was empty, I was happy. She wasn't but I always said a little 'thank you' that the park was deserted. I liked it, she didn't. Now I can understand that they want to play with other kids. In fact, now that they're older, it's better because they can play and I can relax a little. I can't keep them with me forever and I have to let them be kids.
My patience is tested when dealing with other children. The way kids talk to each other makes me want to step in and tell the other child "No, you can't talk to my daughter like that," and a few other choice words that I think in my head but wouldn't say out loud. If it doesn't bother them, I try hard to bite my tongue and not let it bother me; that's how kids talk to each other sometimes. Unless the other child is being particularly bothersome or rude or obnoxious, I let it go. But it pains me to hear some of the conversations because I want to protect them and don't want their feelings hurt.
So, I listen on the sideline, only stepping in if necessary. I make sure I'm nearby if they need me but far enough away not to hover too much. Some days I do a better job than others.
No comments:
Post a Comment