Friday, May 8, 2009

Talent show

My daughter is currently lacking talent. I don't mean she's totally lacking talent, I mean the kind of talent that is showcaseable. (is that a word??) She's smart, creative, funny and the best mountain biking 7 year old I know... but she doesn't know how to play any instruments, can't carry a tune and doesn't take formal dance lessons. They're having a talent show at her school and she wants to audition. I tried to gently suggest that she wait to audition next year after her dad teaches her how to play guitar. (she got a Hannah Montana Washburn guitar for Christmas) I'd like for her to start formal lessons as well. Anyway, we talked about it and I tried, delicately, to put the show in perspective that other kids have taken a bunch of formal lessons and she hasn't done anything to prepare or practice. (I also know she gets nervous in front of a crowd) She still wanted to do the preliminary 'Sharing Day' audition so I agreed. She's going to sing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."

I think I hurt her feelings when I really, really tried to handle the situation in a caring way. When I saw the hurt, I agreed to let her sing the song. I don't want her to get laughed at or embarressed when she performs but I know I can't always protect her or shelter her from every bad situation. I know. I realized she may do great and I have to let her try. I don't think she's ready for the school-wide show, yet, but she can sing a song in front of her class. Now we'll just have to practice "Twinkle, Twinkle" whenever we have the chance.

No comments: