Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Race

My nerves have already started for the race this weekend. I'm not sure why, it was never an "A" race since it was a late addition to the schedule. Probably because I want to do well after my piss-poor performance at the Xterra. [I still don't know how I feel about that race. Mostly I'm satisfied with my performance because of everything that happened but I had planned to do better.] Well, this weekend is a small race on a flat course... I expect to kick ass. The distance is 440y swim, 11.1 bike, 5k run. My realistic time goal is 1:20:xx (now I think 1:25:xx is actually more realistic) and a secret time goal that would require having a stellar performance - the swim and bike are do-able, it's the run that could make or break my total time. Right now, there are 4 women (including me) in my age group, they have race day registration so that could change. I will need to relax, kick ass, and enjoy the race. I get to race while supporting my sister before she leaves for the summer.

Something occurred to my while swimming after reading something in Andrew's blog (<---- Creating a Machine) about racing. It occurred to me that in a race, almost always on the run, I cop-out and walk because I don't want it to hurt. It's a race... it's supposed to hurt... it's gonna hurt... Now that I've had this epiphany, I know what I need to do; now all that's left is execution in a race. I can push it on a group ride to a pace that is just above comfortable. I need to learn to be able to do the same thing with running. I know I can. The true test will be on Saturday. My only wild cards are my hamstring and my IT Bands that I've been rolling.

No comments: