Sunday, May 24, 2009

Taking over the world

Facebook has taken over. Now that I have online communication with friends through two websites, FB definitely gets more attention. There are some people who I hear from regularly on there that I rarely hear from anymore on the other site. When it was first discovered that we were all on both, there was probably a 50/50 split. Now the overlap is definitely closer to 75/25. Gone are the days of everyday 'inspires' to check in with how training was going or the reading of race reports to get details. These days, to say that "M had a great outdoor swim" seems to be enough. I can't really blame them, I sometimes do it too. Although, when someone does a race, I try to make it over to the other site to read their race report. I figure if someone takes the time to write a full race report... it's not only for their own personal information, it's to share their experience with everyone else as well. Maybe I'm just being oversensitive. I write race reports so I have my full account of the race but it's nice when others read it and give a 'congrats' or tips to do better.

I do feel I've fallen 'tween the cracks, though. I don't see them in person often (or ever, really) so what I've done has been forgotten or overlooked. The 3 races I've done this year have fallen on the same day as other bigger races and if I'm the only one doing a particular race, it's easy to forget. If I don't post it on facebook, then they'd probably never go and seek out the information. Maybe it's because we're not newbies anymore. When I joined the other site, I hooked up with a group of people who were also in the first or second season of triathlon. Now we're in our fourth or fifth seasons (or more for some), the circle has widened, life has gotten busy and we don't need constant "monitoring" anymore.

I don't know.... does this sound like whining? Like, "oh poor M, doesn't get any attention and is feeling neglected." Maybe I'm just the weird one because I don't have many people in real life that I can talk to about training and racing. Or maybe there is the possibility that they are so wrapped up in their own lives that they can't take the time to check in on mine.

No comments: