Once again I came across another blog that covered a very similar topic that I was thinking about when I was at the gym today, weird. It was Andrew's blog again, "Creating a Machine." It is about motivation and burn-out. My thoughts are not as well organized as his, all jumbled and in a random order. I have many thoughts at the same time and I'm having a hard time organizing them.
My thinking was prompted by the realization that so far this year I have a focus for triathlon that I haven't had in the past. (doing well in 2 of the 3 races definitely helps!) Sure, I did some serious training in '07 but once I completed my goal race, my training fizzled out. Getting to that race and completing an Olympic distance race was the only goal. I had a focus for that race that kept me going and doing 7 or 8 workouts each week. I realize now that I burned out. I didn't find the balance between training to reach my goal and the rest of life. I remember it felt like all I did was train and it felt like a chore. It's easy to see now why I slacked off after that race. (hindsight is 20/20, right?) I couldn't keep up the volume and intensity after 4 months. It was too much: 3x swim, 3x bike, 3x run. This season I knew I didn't want to try to keep that kind of schedule so I have 2 workouts in each sport every week and I get most of them in every week. (Running is neglected, a shock, I know!)
I didn't discover triathlon until I had my younger daughter and even though being a good role model for my daughters was a bonus it wasn't my main motivation. My main motivation was proving that I could do it, to get back in shape after having kids and quitting smoking for good.
My current motivation is a little different. Now I know I can do it, I want to do well. That involves the competition but it's mostly an internal competitor and the time clock. My other motivation is based on body image. This could be a whole post but I will say I LOVE how endurance training has transformed my body and maintaining this body keeps me going.
After the race last weekend, I have picked my training back up where I left off. I am racing again in less than 6 weeks and I know where I need to improve. I don't feel burned out. I feel energized, ready to go again. I pushed through and caught a glimpse of what I might be capable of.
I've touched on this before but I have to remind myself more often as we are diving deeper in to the tri season - I have to keep negative thoughts in check as my friends train for longer distances. I have very little motivation to do an Ironman distance (140.6) race any time soon. I know triathlon isn't going anywhere, I've already had kids and I have the rest of my life to complete an IM. I'm in my 4th season but still, relatively speaking, young.
I don't share their viewpoint that completing an IM is the pinnacle of our sport. Yes, it's huge and I do agree it is a MAJOR accomplishment but I also know my limitations. Those limitations include money, time, and desire. The last one is a biggie. I train and race in a sport most think they would never be able to do... that alone is enough to gain respect. The fact that I'm only racing sprints does not water down my achievement. Sure, it would be great to go to a race with friends and have training buddies but that's not enough for me. I have to want to do an Ironman, not just because everyone else is doing it.
I tell people new to the sport all the time: if it were easy.... everyone would do it. My kids are still young, I already average about 6 hours a week of training and I am unwilling to double or triple my volume to get ready for an IM. I have no desire to get burned out again. I know fitness is something I want to continue for the rest of my life and I want to enjoy it. (most of the time, anyway!)
**I feel it's necessary to point out that this is my point of view and what works for me. I realize everyone is different.
No comments:
Post a Comment