I got in to a Cardiology Research Study at a major hospital downtown. It's a comprehensive screening to test for early signs of disease. It involves the full range of blood tests, a stress test, a bone scan and other tests. This is from the original message: "Study to determine the “normal range” of Blood Markers of Oxidative Stress and Inflammation, which are known to be involved in the development of certain diseases such as Hardening of Arteries (Atherosclerosis), Diabetes, Depression and Alzheimer’s."
I am thrilled about getting in to this study. With a family history of the conditions listed and heart disease - I am happy to fit the qualifications. Oh, and I get paid - SCORE! :) Now I just need to work out the details about what my older daughter will do after school. The test takes about 3 hours. And I have to fast before it, I hate having to do that. Don't these people know I can't go that long without eating?! (my appt. isn't until 10:30)
I am also scheduled for another set of blood tests at the Hematologist next month. I was there in August for a short test and he wanted me to come back in 6 months to repeat some tests. Some of you already know how this all started so I'll try to give the short version, for those that don't: In the fall of '07, I lost about 8 pounds in about 10 weeks with no change in eating habits and my training had really dropped off from where it had been over the summer. I went to the doctor to make sure nothing was going on, she did some blood tests and found I have a low white blood count and larger than normal red blood cells. She also thought she felt something on my neck so a couple days before Christmas, I went for an ultrasound of my thyroid. That test came back negative. She repeated her blood tests, I had lost a couple more pounds (my lowest of 130 pounds) and my WBC was still low so she referred me to a Hematologist. The Hematologist did a full work-up and didn't find anything major. At the end of the summer, I went back again and he repeated a few of the tests. That was the last time I was there so I am going back in February and if everything is still normal then I'll be done with his tests and will stick to my primary doctor. Okay, so maybe that wasn't that short but the time frame spans 1.5 years.
No comments:
Post a Comment