Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Random

Today is Random Tuesday. (I tried to find a good synonym for "random" but none fit the bill as well as the original word) I've had several things floating around in my head for a couple of days but none I felt warranted their own post.
  • Am I the only one who wonders about the message the Disney Princess franchise sends to young girls? One point... my younger daughter's favorite princess is Ariel - this is the story of a girl who blatantly disobeys her father and endangers herself and her entire family. At the age of 16 she thinks she's old enough to know she's in love with an older prince. She makes a deal with a scary enemy of her father and leaves home for that prince and gets married. (at 16!) Okay, okay, so I know it's just a story but don't all the Princesses marry Princes to make their lives "complete?"
  • My husband's brother leaves for Iraq today - for the 3rd time. I could say lots about him but I think I'll hold off right now. Yes, I am still bitter about our relationship. He totally acted like a jerk (on several occasions) and has never apologized for any of it.
  • I've discovered some great Indie Rock this year. I've always been a fan of Alternative but some of these bands don't get much (if any) mainstream radio airplay. This list is a lot longer then I expected. Here's the list:
-Vampire Weekend
-Cold War Kids
-Blitzen Trapper (it's all good, especially 'Furr')
-Bon Iver ('For Emma')
-Kings of Leon (I like their whole album too)
-She and Him ('Why do you let me stay here?')
-Fleet Foxes (all of it)
-Santogold (I can't remember the song name right now)
-Spoon
-My Morning Jacket
-Paramore
-Bright Eyes (
or Conor Oberst, solo)
-Tegan and Sara
-Muse
-Arcade Fire
-Jenny Lewis ('Acid Tongue' and others)
-Flobots ('Handlebars' - I'd classify this as silly)
-Snow Patrol ('Chasing Cars' - this is older and mainstream but I like it)
-The Ting Tings ('That's Not My Name' - it has a good beat and it makes me smile)
-MGMT ('Time to Pretend', 'Kids', and the rest of their current album)
-Fall Out Boy ('I Don't Care' is my current favorite on my Ipod)
  • After looking at other blogs, it strikes me how many pictures are posted. My husband doesn't like pictures of the girls to be publicly posted so I don't. I have some on Facebook and my other blog but that's okay because I can restrict the people who see them. I don't know if I'd put any on here anyway.....
I think that's all of it. I told you it was random. :)

No comments: