Friday, January 23, 2009

Mom of the year, heh.

And here I was thinking I'd have a hard time coming up with something today.

This morning I went to the gym and took my 3 year old daughter. When the older one isn't in the Adventure Van, I let the little one sit in her carseat with the seatbelt. ('cause she's big enough) I was rushing out the door to get there so I can meet someone to swim, so I'm already distracted. We get in the van, back out the driveway and go on our way down the road. I continue to be distracted because I have to call my mother in law to make sure she can still watch the little one on Monday when I go to the cardiology tests. I'm driving along, I happen to turn around and glance at my daughter and realize she isn't wearing a seatbelt - not strapped in at all. AHHHHHHHH!!! (that's me, freaking out!) I quickly look around and see a sign for a road coming up, move over lanes and turn off the highway. I get out and go around and put her seatbelt on, much to her dismay. She liked the freedom of not having a seatbelt. She pitched a fit but I got the seatbelt on her by convincing her that I wouldn't let her ride in the Big Girl carseat anymore if she didn't. Whew! We'd made it about 10 minutes down the road. I totally dropped the ball on that one! I am so thankful everything was fine, I never would have forgiven myself.

3 comments:

StephB said...

We let Dagny ride in the big girl seat sometimes too, but I feel better with her in the "baby" seat because she can't escape.

The Cranky Princess said...

Doh! I once did the same thing, it was pouring down rain, I had put Exhibit A in the car and somehow the dog got out, I fetched him, threw him back in the house, got a phone call, got in the car and got on my way. As I turned out of the neighborhood onto Cox Road I hear a little giggle followed by "Oh, Mommy, I like not being buckled".

Brett said...

AT has started rebelling against the baby seat. Should be interesting!