One Minute Writer Prompt: Write about a childhood memory related to reading.
I have lots of memories related to reading as a child. It has always been one of my favorite activities. I read everything I could get my hands on. I remember in elementary school that some of my favorite books to check out from the library were the 'choose your own adventure' books. They were usually about a knight on a quest to fight dragons or something and I got to choose if he succeeded! I would often go back through and choose differently, several times, to see how the outcome would change.
Reading was always a way to escape. Whether I was reading about Superfudge, Ramona, a knight on a quest, Alice, the babysitting club, on The Bridge to Terabithia, in the Secret Garden or wherever... it was something that was mine. I don't want you to think my childhood was terrible because it wasn't. But after my parents divorced, there were many times I wished I was living a life different then my own.
These days I don't have the time or maybe it's more accurate to say I don't take the time to read anything except magazines. It's still one of my favorite activities, one I don't do often enough. I think the last book I read was the final Harry Potter book, 3 or 4 months ago. My in-laws have bookshelves of books but everytime I look through them, none of them grab me. Current writers don't interest me like they used to. Oh, I just remembered, I did read a couple stories by Poe that my husband has in a collection. They're short stories and I had forgotten how twisted Poe's writing is. I read "The Black Cat" and "The Mask of the Red Death." I also read about 1/2 of Lincoln's Inagural Address - that was a tough one to get through, it's a little dry.
Maybe I need to try to read more. Even if it's just a little bit everyday.
No comments:
Post a Comment