Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Train your weakness

Train your weakness, race your strength. I am trying to figure out how to do this. It's so much easier to train your strength because that is what you're good at or that's the sport you enjoy most. For me, right now, it's definitely the bike. I would add a third (or 4th) bike day if I could. But I know running is my limiter. [pounding fists... stomping feet.... ] I don't wanna! I don't wanna and you can't make me!

Seriously... I don't know if my running speed is because of genetics or because of a mental block. I've never been fast but I've never trained to be fast either. My husband is convinced it's all in my head. I just don't have quick legs. I've got the lung capacity, my legs just don't go. The fastest I've tried to go on the treadmill at the gym is 7.5 mph (8:34 mile pace) and it's hard. That's my interval pace. But... I've never tried to go longer than 30 seconds or a minute. My legs definitely give out before my lungs. Supposedly, according to the experts on the interweb, I should be able to run a 10k in like 47 minutes. (according to my VO2 max) HA! I gotta give that big fat yeah right - only if someone were chasing me..... with a knife.... or a chainsaw. ;)

I guess I'm at a blah point in my training because I'm not feelin' it today. I have put in 5 solid weeks without missing a training session. I can only hope it will pay off on race day - which still seems so very far away. I'm glad I signed up for the indoor race. I think that will be a good way to jump start my season. I don't think I've been getting enough sleep, either - and that is totally messing up my training mojo.

No comments: